With Skype still being one of the most used Video calling applications across all platforms, some users who are using the Skype App for Windows have complained about a problem with their microphone or Headphones not working when making a call. The problem is that the other person or the opposing user is not able to hear our voice during the call. This problem was mainly mentioned by Windows 10 users.
Some users have also complained of no sound or low sound during calls, both incoming and outgoing. There are multiple causes for this error to arise and let us check each one of it in detail and mention a solution for the same.
Steps to Fix – Skype Audio not working in Windows 10:
We have mentioned the solutions starting from the most basic ones to the somewhat complicated methods to Fix this Error, so try one after the other to check if your problem is fixed, if not go the next step.
Method 1: Check Audio & Video settings
In the Skype for Windows, the App comes with automatic settings to detect and select the Microphone and Speaker by itself based on which is connected and active on your Windows 10 Laptop or PC. In some cases, the App fails to select the correct option and hence there is not sound audible or the other user cannot hear your sound. To fix this, follow the steps mentioned below –
- Open Skype on your Laptop or PC
- Here click on the Three dot icon on the top right corner of the screen
- From the drop-down menu Select the Settings option
- Here you need to select the correct – Speaker and Microphone by selecting from the drop-down menu options.
Now that you have selected the proper device connected to your Laptop or PC, click on the Test Audio option to check if they are working or not. If it is working well and good, but if not follow the next step.
Method 2: Allow Applications to Control Sound:
In Windows 10, there is an option under sound which lets apps choose the audio devices by itself. If this is turned Off in some cases this problem arises. To fix this you need to change the option and give permission for Applications to Control Sound –
- Click on the Speaker Icon on the bottom right corner of the screen (taskbar)
- From the pop-up menu, tap on Sounds
- In the Sound Box, select or click on Recording option tab
- Now double click on the Microphone which is connected from the list of devices you might have connected earlier and click OK.
- In the Microphone Properties box which opens, select the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option and click on Apply then OK.
Method 3: Restart Windows Audio Service:
In some cases, the culprit to the problem is Windows Audio Service and the fix to that is to either Starting the service if it has stopped for some reason or to Restart it. Follow the steps mentioned below to see How to Restart Windows Audio Service:
- Right click on the Windows 10 Start Button on the lower left bottom
- Now click on the Run option to open the Run command box
- In the box, enter “services.msc” and click OK
- In the Services box, scroll through the options and Right Click on Windows Audio
- In the Drop down menu, click on either Start (if turned off) or Resume (if paused) or Restart (if running and not working) option depending on the requirement
- Now Restart your PC and check if the Audio is working during your Skype call
Method 4: Reinstall Audio Drivers
In some cases it was noticed that the problem with Skype Audio not working was because of Windows Audio Drivers being outdated or corrupted which needed to Uninstalled and reinstalled (The installation takes places automatically, you do not need to download any drivers).
- Right Click on the Start button on the lower left corner of the screen
- From the Pop-up box click on Device Manager
- Under Device Manager box, Click on “Sound, video and game controllers” and then Right click on the “High Definition Audio device“
- Now click on Uninstall device option in the drop down menu
- Go back and Restart your Laptop or PC and launch Skype application to check if the Audio is working.
These are the most commonly used solutions which have been found to be useful for most users who have complained about the Skype Audio not working problem in Windows 10 PC or Laptop. Mention in comments which solution has worked for you and if you find any other methods in which you fixed this problem please mention in the comments so it helps others.