Everyone seems to be confused regarding the new rules introduced by TRAI about the selection process of channels, giving users the option to choose which channels you want and which you do not. Earlier all DTH service providers like Dish TV, Tata Sky, Reliance DTH, Videocon, Sun, Airtel Digital TV etc created packs with many useless channels and started charging a premium. As all the channels were clubbed users had no choice but to pay for the channels which no one watched in your house. For Example, we took the South Sports pack in Tata sky which had many Kannada, Tamil etc channels which we never watch but still had to pay for them as it was included in the base pack.
Now TRAI has introduced a system where you can choose channels you wish to watch and just pay for them. In some cases if you are using a base pack in ant DTH provider the charges seem to be increasing for some but if you are taking any higher packs it is beneficial. As January 31st 2019 is the last day to switch to your new DTH plans it is best that you choose the packs before hand.
All the DTH customer care executives are denying or saying that this new offer is not activated in their network yet, so if you are looking for how much each channel costs TRAI has introduced a new website (Channel Selector) which lets you customize the channels you want to watch and get the price of each channel in the process to plan your pack.
Note: This website is useful in knowing the pricing of the channels, but to activate the packs you need to go to your DTH service providers Website or Application.
Steps to Check new TV channels prices in 2019:
- From your Laptop, PC or smartphone go to https://channel.trai.gov.in/index.html
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Get Started” button
- You can either enter your name or Skip this and press “Continue”
- Now you need to choose your “State” from the list
- Now, you need to choose your preferred languages you wish to view like – Hindi, English, Telugu etc
- You also get the option to choose which Genres you wish to add to your pack like – Music, News, Sports, Entertainment, Children etc. Choose the Genre to proceed and narrow down the channels list.
- Now choose which quality of channels you want – HD o SD or Both
- Now you will be redirected to the “Pay Channels” page which will showcase all the pay channels list and lets you choose individual channels or as a group.
- You can now see the total amount which will be charged for the selected channels on the top right corner of the screen.
- You can see a detailed description of the pricing by clicking on the “View selection” option
The MRP you arrive at the end should be added with RS. 130 (NCF or Network capacity fee) which is common for all operators as mentioned in the TRAI website. So the final bill which you will be paying is RS. 130 + (channels cost).
With all the DTH operators reluctant to show the detailed pricing of each channel or separate groups it is a welcome move by TRAI to showcase the pricing of each channel in their official website for everyone to choose from. This prevents over charging by DTH operators to a great extent.