Samsung has launched their latest Flagship smartphone, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ at an event in New York. The main USP of the device is the Infinity Display which is an impressive looking end-to-end or bezel-less display which curves on either side of the device. The Galaxy S8 sports a 5.8-inch Quad HD+ display and the Galaxy S8+ comes with a 6.2-inch Quad HD+ display which are huge display’s but the overall footprint of the device is pretty small thanks to very small bezels. If you are worried about the device being fragile, it comes with Gorilla Glass 5 protection both on the front and back.
Specifications of Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+:
- Display: S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ with 570 ppi and the S8+ with 6.2-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED display with 529 ppi pixel density having Corning Gorilla Glass 5 display having resolution of 2960 × 1440 pixels
- Processor: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU or Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- RAM and Storage: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB storage and a 6GB LPDDR4 RAM with 128GB storage variant, expandable memory with microSD
- Camera: 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture, 1/2.55″ sensor size, OIS, 1.4µm pixel size and an 8MP autofocus front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture, 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, 80-degree wide-angle lens
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- Connectivity: 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 2.0, NFC, MST
- Battery: S8 – 3000mAh battery and S8+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
Both the Galaxy S8 and S8+ come are powered by either Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC with Adreno 540 GPU or Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 series 8895 SoC with Mali G71 MP20 GPU. Both the devices come with either 4GB RAM with 64GB storage or 6GB RAM with 128GB storage options with expandable storage using microSD card. Both the devices run on Android 7.0 Nougat OS out of the box.
Samsung has included the same camera set up as seen on its predecessor, a 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED flash having f/2.7 aperture having 1/2.55 sensor size and an 8MP front-facing camera with f/1.7 aperture having 80 degree wide angle lens. Both the devices come with a Heart rate sensor and Iris scanner similar to the Note 7, the company has managed to include facial recognition option to help unlock the device apart from the Fingerprint sensor and Iris scanner.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is powered by a 3000mAh battery while the Galaxy S8+ comes with 3500mAh battery, both having fast charging while wired or wireless charging. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Artic Silver and Maple Gold colors.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is priced at $750 or Rs. 48,600 approximately while the Galaxy S8+ is priced at $850 or Rs. 55,140 which might not be the price in India and be considerably more. Both the devices will be coming with earphones tuned by AKG by Harman which can be separately bought for $99 or Rs. 6400. Both the Galaxy S8 and S8+ will be up for pre order from March 30th and will be on sale from April 21st.