The OnePlus 2 (OP2) Pre-Launch AMAA (Ask me almost anything) session just took place in reddit and Carl the Co-Founder of OnePlus was present with the other staff Michael, Emmanuel and David to answer the questions. With just weeks away from the launch of the next Flagship device from OnePlus, here are some of the keynotes and deductions that we were able to make from the AMAA session.
Carl with his team to answer the AMAA session
OnePlus 2 : Based on some of the updates given from the AMAA session conducted by Carl here are some of the features and specifications and other details about the OnePlus One which are confirmed.
Features and Specifications of OnePlus 2:
Smaller than the OPO (5.5 inches) – Or at-least smaller bezels
3300 mAh battery
Swap cover back (in a variant of 5 which would be pretty easy to install)
Longer charging cable (around 5 feet)
Pre-installed Screen Protector
Features released so far
Might not have
120GB storage variant and no SD card feature
No support to dualboot
OnePlus 2 Launch (on 27th July) and the VR
- Would be in virtual reality!
- Can watch it with and without the VR (via an app which would be made available for the purpose)
- Would be live streamed in YouTube and also uploaded onto their channel to view at a later time.
Details about VR :
- Wont be selling any more OnePlus cardboard’s after the launch date (i.e. 27th July).
- Also no more free VR’s to be given (as already 30k are to be given)
Purchase and Release into the market
- It was just mentioned that it wont be much time from the launch date (no particular date was given).
- It would be a Global release (In China,India and all the other supported countries at once).
- Price would be less than 450 USD and payment when directly buying from the site will support PayPal only (like OPO).
- Price in India might vary (i.e. direct calculations USD to INR might not apply)
- Have optimized the packaging size to lower the shipping costs.
- Purchase would be via the invite system (though was mentioned that an improved and optimized invite system would be used).
About invites for OnePlus Two:
- It was mentioned many times in the AMAA that the early forum members, supporters and fans would be prioritized and easy access would be given to them on acquiring the invites.
- The invite system would stay for about less than an year and from then it would be open sales (much like the OPO)
Any Offers to Exchange my OnePlus One with OnePlus Two ?
What about OPO?
It will still be available for purchase and support would be provided even after the release of OP2
Band Support for the OP2 and carriers
US GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/7/8/12/17
Europe GSM: 800, 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/5/8 FDD-LTE: Bands: 1/3/5/7/8/20
i.e. Full support of current LTE bands in Europe
Will be having 3 carriers this time
Things to look out in the OP2
- Camera (apparently ex HTC camera folks have been hired by OnePlus to better the camera)
- Improved accessories for the OnePlus 2.
- Upgrades in Oxygen OS
OnePlus 2 below the OPO
Some question and answers about OnePlus Two (Source – Reddit) :
What did you guys prioritize for the device, like battery/size/performance/display etc.?
Carl : Design, build quality, user experience.
On exchange offer for OPO users to get OP2 at a discount :
Carl : I’ve seen a few questions like this. Guys, you know how exchange offers work right?
Collect all the phones, then sell them cheaply to a third party that freshens them up and sells them in other markets. We wouldn’t be able to offer a good discount, and it’s much better for you to just sell on Craigslist or Swappa.
Not saying we won’t do this in the future, just saying it’s normally not a great deal
About the Price in India :
Carl : Price in India might vary (and should not be directly converted from the 450 USD into INR)
The duties for imported smartphone was recently increased significantly. +6% if I remember correctly.
INR is not doing well vs. USD, and most of the world still trades in US
What inspired you guys to stand up to the big boys of the cell phone manufacturers.
Carl : Every company, civilization and organization has a rise and fall. Nothing stays relevant forever. We just thought we could make a better product, and decided to give it a shot.
Forget specs and marketing for a second. If you were to ask people what the most product focused (smartphone) company was, most people would answer Apple. If you ask who’s number two, everyone would have different opinions. This is why we saw an opportunity
How easy it is to distinguish your phone from other flagships when all seem to have very similar hardware specs?
Carl : If you judge a device by it’s specs, you don’t understand products. The best products in the world can make users forget all about specs.
Considering there’s a lot of similarities and comparisons drawn between this and the ASUS ZenFone 2, what makes the Oneplus2 better?
Carl : What are the similarities? You don’t understand products if all you look at are raw spec numbers.
Have you guys ever thought about the naming scheme? OnePlus 2 = 3, but this is the 2nd phone.
Carl : Nope, never crossed our minds
Why did you decide to call it the OnePlus 2 instead of the OnePlus Two, or simply just “2”?
Carl : It’s more elegant, flexible and scalable
An angry user when questioned about the warranty and service :
Carl : Our service has a long way to go, definitely. Reading about us on reddit and our forums, you’d think 80% of our devices have problems, when in reality it’s in the very low single digits. Our users are very digital and vocal. It’s a more difficult crowd to please in the short run, but in the long run, they help us to improve and run forward much faster.
I agree & there have been improvements lately. Still a long way to go before we can be proud of this.
Where do you see this company in 5 years?
Carl : Hopefully, we’ll still be around, and hopefully OnePlus will still be a fun place to work. The market is changing so fast, so it’s really hard to say.
What are you most excited to share about the new phone?
David : How the **** of the OnePlus 2 is **** and how the **** works extremely well thanks to the **** and ****. 😀
What do you think will be the best accessory for the OP2? Will you be releasing them along with the launch of OP2?
Carl : Personally, I’m really excited for the **************.
After this AMAA we are sure as hell excited about the launch. Do tune in for further updates. Please correct us via the comments if we missed/wrongly perceived any of the above points from the AMAA.