Windows 8.1 is the latest update from Microsoft and the good thing is that Microsoft is offering it as a free update to people who are already using Windows 8. And if you are using Windows 7 updating to Windows 8.1 can be done through Microsoft’s Upgrade Assistant. Windows 8.1 is available for $119.99, while Windows 8.1 Pro can be had for $199.99.
Windows 8.1 has some good features like the re introduction of the Start menu options, the option of using 2 apps side by side at the same time etc
System Requirements for Windows 8.1:
- 1GHz processor
- 1GB of RAM for the 32-bit version or 2GB of RAM for 64-bit
- 16GB of free hard-drive space for 32-bit or 20GB for 64-bit
- Graphics card capable of DirectX 9
Steps to Upgrade/Update from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1:
First make sure you have the System specifications required to update, then make sure you back up all your Stuff from your Laptop or PC just in case something goes wrong.
- Go to START
- Go to STORE
- You will be seeing this big tab as soon as the store opens which gives you the option of Update to Windows 8.1 for Free
- Click on it and you will be directed to another window showing Downloading Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 Download
- On the right side corner top of the same page you will find “Updates (number)” which should be clicked and updated before the download of the win 8.1 file is done.
- You should do one more important thing, Go to Start < PC settings < Scroll to the bottom and click on “Windows Update”
Check for updates for Windows 8.1
After the download the installation begins and it will take some time and all you have to do is wait as Windows will do all the work for you.