WhatsApp has introduced this new feature of letting users to send Videos as GIFs with their latest Beta release for Android devices. Earlier this feature was available for a Root only App, but now WhatsApp has officially released a beta version of the App which is enabling sending Videos as GIFs in with the beta version of WhatsApp v2.16.242 or later. The GIF file is played inline and this lets you share the file with your friends on WhatsApp.
The GIF file can also be downloaded on your desktop which will then be saved as an MP4 file. The video file which can be converted to GIF should be 6 seconds of lesser. So if you want to convert any video to GIF you have to make sure that the video length is a maximum of 6 seconds or you need to trim an already existing video to 6 seconds or less.
Steps to Send Videos as GIF in WhatsApp for Android:
- Install Beta Version of WhatsApp – Download the apk file here – Beta Version of WhatsApp
- Launch the installed WhatsApp application
- Open a conversation or Msg your friend or any user
- Tap on the Attachment icon seen on the right side top of the screen
- Now tap on Camera option if you want to record a new video or you can select Gallery to upload an already existing video
- Make sure that the video being recorded is 6 seconds or less and the same with the pre existing video, which has to be trimmed down if more than 6 seconds
- Now tap on the camcorder icon in the upper right corner of your screen and this will show the GIF icon which will let you trim the video to the desired length
- After trimming down the video you can now Send the Video as a GIF
If this Video / GIF is being sent to a user who does not have the latest version of WhatsApp installed, will be seeing it as a Video. To find the GIF in your smartphone you have to head to the File Manager -> WhatsApp -> Media -> WhatsApp Animated GIFs -> Sent folder. The file will be saved as an MP4 file in your device, we can expect WhatsApp to start giving this feature in their upcoming updates for the application.