Google had introduced a new feature called Instant Apps at Google I/O 2016 which as the name suggests allows users to access and try a cloud-based version of the app without having to install the Application on your Android smartphone. This is a great feature which was highly welcomed as it helps the users save a lot of storage space on their devices as the apps can be tried before installing or buying the App. The Instant Apps feature was expected to be launched at the start of 2017 and Google has started rolling out this feature to a limited number of smartphones running on Android 7.0 Nougat.
The smartphones which are going to get the Instant Apps update are users with Nexus 6P, Pixel and Pixel XL running on Android 7.0 Nougat and the company is said to start rolling out the update to other smartphones running on Android 7.0 Nougat in coming days. If you are having any of the above-mentioned smartphones you can follow the below-mentioned steps to check if your devices support Instant Apps.
Image Source: Android Authority
How to Enable Instant Apps on any Android Device:
- From your Nexus 6P, Google Pixel or Pixel XL smartphone tap on Settings
- Scroll down and Tap on “Google” under Personal Category
- Now scroll through the Services Category and tap on Instant Apps to open
- In the Instant Apps page you need to tap on the slider to turn the Instant Apps feature “On”.
- Now you will have to tap on “Yes I’m In” to turn On the feature on your Android Smartphone.
It is important to note that the Developers of the App need to have a Demo version of the Application for the Instant Applications feature to work. At the moment the applications which are available under Instant Applications are – Periscope, Buzzfeed, Wish, Viki etc and there will be Demo versions of other apps as well in coming weeks. So once the Instant Apps feature is activated on your device it is important to know how to know Instant Apps feature.
How to Use Instant Apps feature on Android:
- To use the Instant Apps feature you need to search for the Instant version of the App on Google and the number of apps supported are restricted at the moment – Periscope, Buzzfeed, Wish, Viki
- To know if you are installing the correct app, see the option Instant beside it
- The link will open and give you two options – Open App and Open in Browser
- Tap on any one of it to access and use the Application before planning to purchase the paid version of the App
If you want to purchase or Install the full version of the App on your Android device, tap on the three dot icon on the top right corner of the screen and choose “View on Google Play” and you can install or purchase the application. This is a very useful feature introduced by Google which can save us money as we can try the app for free before planning to purchase the full version instead of repenting about the purchase after it is done.