Xiaomi has come out with some amazing devices like the Redmi 1s, Redmi Note, Mi3, Mi 4, Mi 5, Mi 6, Redmi Note 3, Redmi Note 4, Redmi 4, Redmi 4s, Redmi 5, Redmi 5s etc which are all the best in the category they are put in, and Xiaomi coming with the latest Android OS is another added feature for the devices. But there have been many queries from users who are trying to change the Custom launcher in Xiaomi devices which is the MIUI skin and to install other launchers like Google Now Launcher, Nova Launcher, Go launcher or the Nokia Z Launcher. There was one problem which I noticed with Redmi 1s which made many users go for other launchers which is the absence of an App Drawer.
So for those of you who want to change the Launcher in Xiaomi devices here are steps or procedure to change it:
All you have to do is select the launcher which you want to install and then make the launcher as default in your Xiaomi device.
1. Download and Install the Launcher which you want to use in your Xiaomi Redmi 1s or Mi3 or Mi4 device from Google Play store.
2. You can set is as default by Tapping on the installed Launcher icon and you will be immediately getting a pop up box asking your to got to settings and change the Default option
3. Or you can directly go into Settings and then go to General Settings from there tap on Apps
4. Here you will be seeing the list of apps installed on your device and under All at the bottom of the screen you can see Default App Settings – Tap on it
5. Here under the list of options tap on Launcher which will be set as Default and you will be directed to a page with the list of other Launchers installed.
6. Tap on the launcher which you want to Activate and you will get a pop up box from the bottom of the screen warning you about the increase in power consumption and decreased speed which might occur due to the use of other launchers. Tap on Replace.
7. And that is it you can now go back to your Home Screen and see that the launcher which you have selected is installed and you can change the appearance etc by going into the Launcher App and playing around with the settings.
How to fix Launcher going back to Miui after pressing the home button:
Some uses have faced this issue where after following the steps mentioned above and even after clicking on Replace, once they press the home button the default launcher is going back to Miui 7 or Miui 8 or Miui 9 instead of the selected Google now or Nova etc launchers. To fix this follow the below mentioned steps.
Note: you need to access the developers options and “Turn off Enable Miui optimizations”
Go to Settings and then at the bottom tap on “About phone” and then tap for 7 or 8 times repeatedly “MIUI Version” which enables the developers options.
Once the options are enabled, Go to Settings and you can find “Additional settings” option tap on it.
Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you’ll find “Turn on MIUI optimization” you will see a blue tick option, tap on it to untick the box that appears on that line. This will turn off the Miui optimizations options in MIUI and the selected launcher will be active.