BlackBerry which has been out of the competition with many saying that the company is done, has launched a pretty interesting device, the KEYone which was code named as ‘Mercury’ in earlier leaks at MWC 2017 in Barcelona. This is an attempt by BlackBerry to make it back into the market as it is the last phone designed by BlackBerry and is made by TCL Communication Technology (TCT). The device sports a 4.5-inch display with resolution of 160 x 100 pixels having an aspect ratio of 3:2, the main USP of the device is the presence of the iconic qwerty physical keyboard by Blackberry which is backlit and responds to touch gestures to support flick typing.
The Fingerprint sensor is present in the spacebar and the keyboard can be customized with up to 52 shortcuts. The KEYone is powered by a 2GHz Octa-core Snapdragon 625 SoC with Adreno 506GPU. It has 3GB RAM with 32GB internal storage expandable upto 2TB using microSD card. The device is powered by a massive 3505mAh battery which comes with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 capable of charging up to 50% in just 36 minutes and the company promises two days of battery life.
Specifications of BlackBerry KEYone:
- Display: 4.5-inch 3:2 display with 433 PPI, Gorilla Glass 4 protection having resolution of 1620 x 1080 pixels
- Processor: 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 14nm processor with 650MHz Adreno 506 GPU
- RAM and Storage: 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Camera: 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, Sony IMX378 sensor, 1.55μm pixel size, 1/2.3″ sensor size, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, 4K video recording and an 8MP front-facing camera with 1.12µm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture
- OS: Android 7.1 Nougat
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4 & 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- Battery: 3505mAh with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
- 4-row Physical QWERTY backlit keyboard with capacitive touch
The BlackBerry KEYone comes with a 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash having f/2.0 aperture, PDAF and capable of recording at 4K resolution, an 8MP front facing camera wiht 1.12um pixel size is present. The device runs on Android 7.1 Nougat OS out of the box and Blackberry says this is the safest Android smartphone in the market.
The BlackBerry KEYone is available in Black color and is priced at US$549 or Rs. 36,500 / 599 Euros / 499 GBP, the device is said to be available from April globally with no information about its availability in India.